Tuesday, June 7, 2022

It’s That Time Again!

It’s that time of year again, the Dallas International Guitar Festival! The anticipation as the days get closer is absolutely nail biting! although... How can it not be? Three days of live music, 180,000 guitars and the best of all! You never know who will be the big headliner each year. Saturday morning I awoke before my alarm. I ate my breakfast, packed my lunch, and rushed out the door to work. When I got to work I couldn’t stop checking my phone to see who would be preforming when, what stages, if I had any texts from anyone, Nope! And then I’d turn off my phone. As the minutes went by during works meeting I grew more anticipation and started to look around the room, ready to jump and run as soon as they gave us the “okay” to leave. When the meeting ended I about bolted out of work and to my car driving 90 to nothing down the highway! I was ready! Okay, not really that fast but close enough. When I arrived to the festival it was almost as if lightning had been lit underneath me! I walked so fast, probably the fastest I’ve ever walk to any destination. There was a line to get inside, the closer I got the more ready I was to run in through the entrance, grab my pass, and start photographing! I knew what I was doing this time and I was on a mission from God! Nobody was stopping me. Finally! It was my turn to walk inside. When I stepped foot inside the adrenaline started to set in. You could hear sounds of thousands of guitars being played throughout the room! It made the hairs on my arms stand up. Once I got my media pass in my hands, I was off from there! First stop was the Buddy Magazine Booth. I’ve looked up to the photographers through this magazine company since the day I learned about photography. Darleen Mcadams and Chuck Flores, two top Dallas, photographers I just gush over! Their work is incredible. When I didn’t see either of them I continued onto the first stage. The first lineup to photograph was Greg Koch! In the beginning, I was nervous but as I stood there and watched the audience get into the music I pulled out my camera and eventually I looked like a natural! The second lineup, Larry Mitchell was up to play! As I made my way to try and get backstage to photograph the security guard sitting in front of the entrance stopped me in my tracks, “You can’t go back.” He said. I was flabbergasted! From there I stormed off to the front to try and figure out what the issue was. This is where I had found out that the rules of the festival had changed! I shuffled away angry and made another pit-stop by the Buddy Magazine Booth where I finally ran into Chuck. By then, Darleen showed up and took me alongside her so that she could introduce me to everyone she knew. I told Chuck and Darleen my sob story about how I couldn’t get backstage where we three marched our way to Jimmy Wallace, head of the entire festival, to explain our issue. By this moment I am pretty sure I blanked out! THE, Jimmy Wallace! Was sitting right in front of me. The one and only who puts on, The Dallas International Guitar Festival. My hands were sweaty, I was shaking, nervous, every emotion all in one! My heart could’ve beat out of my chest at any moment! We made our way back outside and by then Ally Venable was on stage. She wowed the crowd with her beautiful voice! She looked so majestic as the wind blew her hair around and her dress sparkled in the sunlight. When we made it to the end of the day Philip Sayce who was scheduled as the last lineup had arrived. Darleen mentioned she would be leaving the show early so she gave me her pass so that I could get backstage and be able to get up close and personal however, silly me ruined that opportunity! As I saw Philip talking with other fans I slowly made my way over to greet myself. Before I could even say anything he was turning around towering over me, “I remember you! You sent me that email.” As I proceeded to blush furiously and almost pass out from being on cloud nine I asked, “Can we get a quick photo?” Shaking and feeling star struck. “Absolutely! That would be great!” He said with a bright smile. From there as he thanked me for coming to the show and proceeded to walk away, before I even had time to process what I had experienced my pass was yanked out from underneath by staff! I was furious! I could hardly drive home that evening without my emotions boiling over. By Sunday morning I was back out and photographing as if nothing happened. I didn’t stay as long as I thought I would’ve. It was hot and I was exhausted! Not only was this weekend a learning experience for me, it was also a great adventure that I will forever look back on.

1 comment:

Neighborhood Friends

 The memories of my childhood neighborhood and the friends I grew up with are etched deeply in my heart. Among them, five of us formed an in...