Sunday, February 6, 2022

You Can’t Always Hide

 They say photography is an expression of the soul. Well, here's mine. I enjoy photographing live music events and the passion for it started when I was 16 and received my very first camera. I took pictures of anything I could! Eventually I started grabbing hold of my mom’s Canon which was much nicer than mine. By the time I entered my first semester of senior high school I joined a photo journalism class where I learned even more about photography. In May of 2019 my mom took me to the Dallas International Guitar Festival, I of course had my camera with me and photographed just about every musician we knew. While we were there I was amazed watching all the professional photographers with their big telephoto lenses leaning in, getting those perfect shots and I thought to myself, “That is what I want to do one day!” Sure enough, I accomplished that goal! I came across Darleen Mcadams through the many music outings mom and I would go to. She encouraged me to get out of my comfort zone and just go for it in order to get those perfect shots and to not stop until the music did. And if you know me that sounded like the worst idea ever! Wanting to slowly back away and hide within the audience as if I wasn’t there. I would have to be physically pushed out there just to get the courage to turn my camera on and go for it. Eventually I learned that if I wanted to reach a goal of mine, I was going to have to work for it on my own. Just before May of 2021 I mustered up the courage and reached out to Jimmy Wallace who puts on the Dallas International Guitar Festival. My mission was to try and ask if it would be possible to photograph the festival, I didn’t think he would even reply but when I woke up I was flabbergasted! I am pretty sure I about told everyone of my closest friends and family so many times they eventually started responding with, “We know already!” On day one of the festival I will admit that I felt as if I was a cat being thrown out into the world with no warning on what to expect. I showed up and remembered what my mom had always told me going for music outings, that if you walk in and act like you know what you’re doing nobody will question you and that’s just what I did. I walked in with my head held high, was handed my press pass, and owned it! I went into the dark concert hall that as people describe, the echo chamber. As it’s only concrete flooring and brick walls all around the stage. This is where I first ran into Rockin’ Robert Tomberlin who spotted me before I could even find him! He graciously took me under his wing and started introducing me to all his band members and any other musician he could spot nearby. I’m pretty sure at the exact moment in time I was on cloud nine. In fact I don’t even think my feet were moving beneath me as I followed him around. By that time, my mom showed up to join me and rather her leading me around, I was the one showing her the ropes! Because of mastering this huge accomplishment this has led me to be able to not be afraid to go on large stages and photograph the bands I know. The next time you are nervous and feel like you can’t do something. Remember that if you want something you will work hard to accomplish that just like I did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Neighborhood Friends

 The memories of my childhood neighborhood and the friends I grew up with are etched deeply in my heart. Among them, five of us formed an in...