Friday, July 9, 2021

Just A Normal Night Of Music

What was supposed to be a normal night of a music outing quickly turned not to be! My mom and I spent our evening getting ready to go out for some usual tunes of our good friends, Texas Flood. The venue was a bit of a drive but for the music it was worth it. For a lot of you that don’t know, my mom has a very big bubbly personality. We will be out in public and she’ll see someone sitting alone, minding their own business and she’ll just strike up a conversation. Like hello! Mother! You don’t know this person, why are you embarrassing me? Okay but for real now.. Anytime we go out for music our first thing to do is scope out the venue, find any friends that look familiar, a safe space and somewhere to also just simply sit down so that we aren’t awkwardly standing there. The tunes were hopping, we were having fun and of course she was having her drinks. I don’t really remember how it went down other than she disappeared to the bar to order a drink and it took her a little longer than usual. I didn’t think of anything during that moment, I was into the music feeling the vibe, occasionally people watching to see if I could spot her. Eventually she came back to the table. Something was off, she was dancing more than usual which she doesn’t normally do because of her arthritis, hugging on our friends, over all not being her normal bubbly self. If it weren’t for our good friend Billy, I honestly don’t think we would’ve made it home safely that night. He came and sat down at our table to try and make sure she was okay, make some jokes, try and make the evening a little more comfortable because I’m pretty sure he could even sense something was a little bit off. He graciously offered up his place that night, so that he could know we were safe rather attempting to drive 57 minutes back home on highways with other potential drunks. At the time I wasn’t able to drive and looking back at it now I am glad I can. She did okay driving a block away to his house. When we got to Billy’s place, he gave us a grand tour of his family’s home, even made us hotdogs at 1 in the morning because my mom insisted that she was hungry. The whole time Billy was very respectful about the entire situation. Making sure we were comfortable. That my mom was staying hydrated. That we had a comfortable place to sleep. The next morning, we woke up and my mom was asking what happened as she didn’t remember a single thing from that night.  Although it was a terrible experience, when it comes down to it. I am extremely lucky and thankful. I am thankful for my mom to be alive and okay and for me to be okay as well. Because unfortunately, a good chunk of people that are drugged end up dead. I am thankful because it provided us with a learning experience. Now that I am able to drive myself to concerts and be on my own when it comes to music or being out and about with friends, I am always being extra careful when I am out and I wouldn’t have been without this experience. Above everything else, I am thankful for our friend, Billy for getting us to his home safely, watching over us, and taking care of my mom, when we needed it the most. A lot of people are not so lucky when they are drugged. My goal in writing this is to spread awareness because it has an important message to share and it needs to be heard. Most people don’t know the facts about roofies, or what the drugs really do to people. In addition to that, most people have no idea how to tell if someone has been drugged, or how to react or what to do when someone tells you they were drugged. Please, please, please learn from this mistake and be alert, no matter where you are or what you are doing. Do not take your eyes off of your drink, do not trust people that you barely know, even if you think they're okay, and please do not think that it won’t happen to you. We made the mistake of thinking that we were in a safe bar, around safe people, where nothing bad happened. So we didn't let anything stop us from having fun that night and just from my mom not watching her drink. This happened. Learn from this mistake and just be careful. Have you ever been drugged or have you been with a friend after they were roofied? I would love to hear your experience below and I would love for you to share this post, and/or share your experience with your social media friends in order to spread awareness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Neighborhood Friends

 The memories of my childhood neighborhood and the friends I grew up with are etched deeply in my heart. Among them, five of us formed an in...