Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Fireworks!

Fireworks are the part of life that light up people and make them happy. It's human nature to be attracted to bright and shiny things. For me, I love the loud bangs where you can feel it in your chest, the color and design’s that have been made over the years and the smell of it after. Not healthy I’m sure! But if I could I'd launch fireworks everyday and every night! Fireworks have been part of the US Independence Day, the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, since its first celebration in July 1777. That celebration took place in the midst of the  Revolutionary War, however, explosions, artillery fire, and “bombs bursting in air” were not exactly a cause for joy and celebration at the time. So why did we, Americans. Begin celebrating Independence Day with fireworks? To answer this question, a lot of people point to John Adam’s letter to his wife, informing her that the continental congress had declared independence. “This day ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.” But pyrotechnics were already a common manner of celebration, particularly to mark national triumphs and the restoration of peace, and John Adams had little to do with that. How fireworks came to be a central component of Independence Day celebrations in the United States was ultimately the result of hundreds of years of royal pageantry. The celebratory display of fireworks we know today evolved out of the use of fireworks in romantic performances of combat and in elaborate pageants and plays, typically associated with national events. England’s King, whose royal standard bore the Red Dragon, included fireworks at his wedding in 1486. The first known use of fireworks at a national celebration, and his wife’s coronation in 1487 featured a fire breathing dragon, which became popular in royal firework displays. It’s even said that Queen Elizabeth I ruled was so fond of fireworks in performances that she even appointed a royal “Fire Master of England” to coordinate shows. John Adams was not prescribing a novel way to celebrate America’s freedom. “Illuminations” were already a common mode of celebration. I remember one year for 4th Of July I wanted so bad to see some fireworks. I begged and begged until my dad surprised me of just that. I invited my best friend, Viktoria, to join us. We spent the entire day planning how things would work for us. We drove to a random parking lot and hopped on a very crowded shuttle bus that drove us over to where the festivities would be held. The build up to it was very chilling! Everyone was happy, as the field slowly filled up we listened to a band play classic rock music as we sat on a grassy hill. Once they began there were "Ohh’s" and "Awe’s" all around us. Once the finale began everyone was on their feet cheering! This is a moment I’ll never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Neighborhood Friends

 The memories of my childhood neighborhood and the friends I grew up with are etched deeply in my heart. Among them, five of us formed an in...